Sunday, January 3, 2010

Homemade baby food - Take One

Today was my first attempt at making my own baby food. I decided to start off with something simple. Sweet potatoes.

Caleb hasn't actually had sweet potatoes yet, but it's on the menu for next week, so I decided to go ahead and make some to freeze.

Start with baked sweet potatoes. I wasn't sure how much baby food I would get from 1 potato, and I had 3, so I went ahead and used them all.



Slice them down the middle.



Scoop out the inside and put it in the blender. (You could probably just mash it up by hand, especially if your baby is older and eats thicker food, but I was in a hurry)



I added a little water just to thin it out a little, and I can add more if I need to when I thaw it.



Put spoonfuls into an ice cube tray, and freeze. (I've been told each cube is about an ounce)



Once it's frozen, pop out the cubes and put them in freezer bags labeled with the food and date, and you're done.

Pretty easy huh?

We'll see how Caleb likes it next week. Hopefully he really likes it because I have enough for days and days.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger lexie johnston said...

you are vair vair domestic! can you teach me one day?

January 4, 2010 at 4:11 PM  
Blogger Elaine Clowers said...

Hah, not domestic at all, just don't want to spend a ridiculous amount of money on babyfood!

January 4, 2010 at 4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home