Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Happy Birthday, Charles

If you read my blog earlier today, you read a post from my sweet husband. And saw that today is his birthday. Happy Birthday, Baby!

He's a year older, which means I'm right behind him because my birthday is one month after his. We are really growing up.

It was exciting to buy a birthday card for Charles, from Caleb. That was a first, and while Caleb isn't old enough to actually participate, he did enjoy chewing on the envelope.

I also made a birthday cake, actually I wouldn't even call it that, because it looked ridiculously horrible. I am no baker, even with a cake mix, and when I realized we were out of eggs, the trouble really began. First I thought I'd have to go back to the store (I had just been there about 20 minutes earlier), but thought I'd check and see if there was some sort of substitution I could use. After searching the internet I came across something that said you could substitute a coke (when I say coke, I really mean soda, but here in the south, they're all called coke) for the water and eggs. Interesting concept, but since I had no eggs and really didn't want to load Caleb back up in the car, I decided to give it a try. The 'soda' of choice was Mountain Dew. It's all we had, and just to let you know, it worked, and smells really good.

The problem was that it made the cake more moist than usual, which isn't a bad thing, until you try to remove the cake from the pan to frost it. It completely crumbled. So I was left with a crumbly mess. Did that stop me from frosting it? Of course not. I frosted that crumbly mess and we will eat it after dinner, and I'm sure it will taste wonderful, regardless of how it looks.

Happy Birthday Charles! (sorry about the cake)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home