Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Books

I love books.

And I really want Caleb to love books, as well. And so far, he does.

We (actually, I is more appropriate here, but I'll say we anyways), we have been reading to Caleb since he was a few weeks old. At first, he didn't pay a bit of attention to the books. He just listened, and perhaps enjoyed the sound of our voices. But by a few months old, he actually started noticing the pictures, and began to make the connection between what he was hearing and what he was seeing.

Now, I'm not saying that he somehow knows we are reading stories to him from the pages of the books he is looking at, but he knows there is some connection between the animated, often rhyming, words he is hearing and the books in front of him. And he loves it.

Now at almost 8 months old (hard to believe isn't it), he is a wiggly little man. Always on the move. But if I sit with him in our rocking chair and pull out a book, he becomes calm, and sits quietly as I read to him. He is engrossed in the pages of his books, and will often sit and listen to 2, or 3, or 4 books before getting squirmy again.

He even protests if I try to put him to bed without reading a bedtime story first. Sometimes it's late, and I know he's tired so I attempt to skip the story and go straight to the few minutes of rocking we do before I lay him in his crib. But he will have none of it. He looks longingly at his bedtime books on the nightstand, reaches for them, and fusses until I give in, pick the shortest book he has and read it to him. The boy wants his bedtime story, and I love it. Love that he wants to read books, love that we share a common interest (you can't always say that about an 8 month old) and love that he loves his books.

He even has his favorites : Goodnight Moon(a classic) and Cuddle For Little Duck(about a little duck and his mommy, and their day of adventures).

I have my favorites too, the most recent of which is, You Are My I Love You Such a sweet book.

Caleb has a few books that I picked up simply because I vividly remember reading them as a child, and wanted him to enjoy them the same way I did. As Caleb grows older and his life begins to fill with school, sports, friends, toys, and hunting (if Charles has any say in it), I hope his love of books continues because books are something you can enjoy for a lifetime.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home