Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Childbirth Class #5

Only two more weeks of this class and we are officially "prepared" to be parents. We'll see how accurate that actually is. This week we finally moved out of the childbirth part of the class (thank goodness; I've heard about enough) to the baby basics part of the class.

On Monday we learned about newborns, what they look like, how they act, and how to take care of them, as well as what to make sure we have before we bring him home. Charles even got to give a sponge bath to a really weird looking doll, that was much to big to be a newborn in the first place (at least Caleb better not be that big).

We also got to enjoy a ridiculous video ( ok, so the information wasn't ridiculous, but the rest was) about newborns, in which they act as if a 28 day old baby (apparently that is when they switch from newborns to infants) is giving advice to a baby that has just been born. It seemed to be fashioned after the movie "Look Who's Talking". Remember that movie?

Anyways, I feel like I pretty much have the newborn/infant care stuff down because I've been doing it for the past 4 months with the little girl I take care of during the day. I know it won't be exactly the same with Caleb, because all babies are different, but I think I'll have a pretty good idea of what I'm doing. And Charles is really great with babies. This may come as a surprise, to be honest, I was a little surprised myself, but he's great. So I'm sure he'll be able to figure out what he's doing pretty quick too.

Stay tuned for next weeks class: it's all about breastfeeding!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home