Saturday, November 14, 2009

Only 5 ??

A friend of mine is making a list of must have baby items for another friend who's pregnant, and it got me thinking. If I was going to have a newborn again and I could only have 5 baby items, what would they be? Now this is assuming that all of the necessities are taken care of (clothes, blankets, diapers, carseat, etc.) It's hard to chose from the hundreds, maybe thousands, of baby items that are out there. I mean, there are whole stores devoted to baby and all the things he or she might need during babyhood. Only 5 ... I'm not sure I could do it, but if I had to here is what I would want.

(In no particular order)

1. Moses basket or bassinet. Caleb slept in our room for the first 6 weeks in a Moses basket, which I absolutely loved. It was small enough to fit easily in our not so big bedroom and easy to move around (although I didn't need to move it much). This is definitely something I would want to have again because as a new mom I wanted Caleb close to me at night, and it made it very convenient for those middle of the night feedings for the first few weeks.

2. Boppy pillow. I have used this more than anything else since Caleb was born. It's a nursing pillow, so it, of course, gets used alot for that purpose, but it's also a nice comfy place to lay baby. Caleb still occasionally takes a nap lying on his boppy pillow and now that he's bigger I use it behind him when he's practicing his sitting skills. It gives him just enough support and keeps him from falling backwards or sideways.

3. Snap-n-Go stroller. Everyone has a stroller, but this is a small compact stroller frame (no seat) that you put the infant carrier on. Alot of strollers can hold an infant carrier, but they are so bulky it becomes a hassle to lug them out of the car for a quick trip into a store or something. This stroller makes it very easy to quickly pull it out of the trunk, set the infant carrier on top, and head inside. And let me tell you, it doesn't take long for that infant carrier to get very heavy.

4. Bouncy seat/swing. This really just depends on the baby. Caleb always preferred the bouncy seat, but it is very nice to have somewhere you can put the baby when you need to get things done around the house and he isn't napping. He still uses the bouncy seat, though not as much as he used to.

5. Pacifiers. Some people hate them, some people love them. Mine is more of a love/hate relationship, but I would want it none the less. Newborns (maybe not all, but most) are born with an intense need to suck on something ... anything. Caleb had his mouth working from the minute he was born, and pacifiers are a great way to help them fulfill this need. Now the hate part comes in later, at least for me it did, when the little one begins to need the pacifier in order to go to sleep. Thankfully this was easily fixed for us by simply not giving him the pacifier every time he went to sleep, although it took many nights of endless trips to his crib to give him his paci, or us to figure it out.

Well, there's my list. Thank goodness I don't actually have to abide by it and my supply of baby items is much, much larger. There is alot of good stuff out there, but be careful, because it slowly begins taking over the entire house.

The things we do for these precious little ones.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home