Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Dad's Perspective...

I thought I would take a minute and tell you about my perspective on our life now. Let me start by saying that I love being a dad! It is a very unique relationship experience for me. I think that it compares to God's love for us in that He loved us before the foundation of the world. I have never loved someone just because they exist. Caleb didn't have to earn my affection. I love my heavenly Father because He first loved me, I love my parents in large part because they first loved me, I made a choice to love Elaine forsaking all others but only after getting to know her, and then there is Caleb who I loved before I met him and the love grows each time I see him. This may seem kind of weird, but I really have thought several times about how unique a parents love for a child is. I am beginning to understand the love that our parents have for us. Thanks Mom and Dad from both Elaine and myself!

Elaine really makes it easy on me! Either that or I am just a horrible Father/Husband...hmmmm...something to ponder!?! Just 5 days after Caleb was born Elaine encouraged me to play my weekly softball game (I didn't play as I thought I would be nominating myself for bad dad of the year!). Less than 2 weeks after he was born I spent 2 hours fishing at Herb Parsons Lake...and again a week later! I have changed some diapers but rarely without Elaine offering to do it for me. She is definitely the primary care giver and is sure to peek her head around the corner if Caleb is crying while under my watch (Elaine...I just laughed out loud...'Daddy's Watch') just to make sure I am at least attempting to calm him...ha! She let's me sleep while she feeds him at night! I could go on, but at the risk of making her sound like Super Mom let me end by saying again that she makes it very easy for me to be a dad. She is very comfortable with kids and now she just has to manage two instead of one! Thanks Babe!

And last but not least is Caleb. Really this kid is a bundle of joy...at least most of the time. I love his awake time and watching him as he...well, sits there for the most part, but I like to brag on him and tell him how strong his neck is, how well he is flinging his arms and kicking his feet, or ask him what he is saying as he kind of gargles and spits and sputters. One of my favorites is watching the faces the guy makes as he goes to sleep and wakes up...we have some video maybe Elaine can put a few up. It is amazing how helpless he is and how he is totally dependant on the care of his mom and dad. He can't feed himself, cant change his diapers, can't even go to sleep when he is tired without the work of his parents. Again, it is a picture of a love that our Father has for us. I am quickly realizing how helpless I am in the eyes of a sovereign God. It is a true statement to say that we love our children well because of the love that our Father has for us.

Stay tuned for my next post..."Never mind, he is a terror just like his daddy!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home