Thursday, August 27, 2009

Feeding Frustrations and Other Stuff

In the last week or so Caleb has become so distractable while he's eating. It's like he's just now noticed that other things are still going on when he eats. He's also getting faster, which is nice. He'll eat for about 5 minutes really well, and then it's : eat for a minute, look around, eat for a minute, smile at me, eat for a minute, "talk", eat for a minute, cry because he needs to burp, and so on. He eats about 8-10 minutes at a time, except at night. At night, there is nothing to distract him, so he eats for about 20 minutes. While I'm happy he's getting faster (for awhile I was feeling like I was feeding him ALL the time), it's frustrating trying to get him to pay attention to what he's doing and just eat. From what I've read, this is just typical and lasts for a few months until they realize they can eat and pay attention to what's going on around them.

I also finally found a bottle that I'm comfortable giving to Caleb. I didn't want to give him anything that made it too "easy" to eat because I don't want him to prefer the bottle to me, but I found one that is so similar to breastfeeding I don't think he knows the difference. He doesn't like taking it from me (I guess he knows I've got the "real thing") but he takes it fine from other people. Now I can leave him with other people, or in the church nursery and know that if he gets hungry it's not a big deal.

And finally, he's officially sleeping in his crib for naps and at night. I think everyone is sleeping better this way. And while he sleeps great in his crib at night, he's still struggling with naps in there. He wakes up alot more often and it takes him longer to fall asleep, but I think he's getting used to it. So, we got 9 weeks of use out of the Moses basket, definitely worth it because he slept great in there, and it let me keep him close when I was having to get up with him several times a night. Speaking of getting up at night ; Caleb is sleeping consistently from 10:30 until 4 or 4:30, and then until 7:30. I think this is pretty good, but I'm hoping that we can drop that 4 o'clock feeding in the next few weeks. Then I'll finally get a full nights sleep. I don't even remember what that's like, but I'm looking forward to it.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home