Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Nothing So Amazing

Being a mom is hard. I've had lots of experience with kids so when I found out I was pregnant with Caleb I thought, "This will be a breeze". Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE being a mom, but it's hard. It's different when it's your own child rather than someone elses. It's different when it's a 24/7 responsibility rather than an 8 to 5 job like it was when I was a nanny. It's different when you can't pass them off to their parents at the end of the day ... you are the parent.

It's great when I'm playing with him, and see his cute face and his cute smile. It's great when he's learning and doing new things. It's amazing how much he's changing every day. But it's hard when he cries, especially when I don't know why he's crying. It's hard when I know he's so tired, but he won't go to sleep. It's hard when I have to get up in the middle of the night to feed him. It's hard trying to keep up with everything else and take care of a little person.

It may be hard, but I love it, and wouldn't change a thing. It's wonderful how God blesses us with these little people. To take care of. To teach. To learn from. To love.

I read this quote in a book called Meditations for the New Mother

"We all agree that there is no age when we can take credit for the miracle of love which is now ours, for the gift is absolutely unmerited and the glory belongs to the King of glory!"

It is completely unmerited. I do not deserve the gift that Caleb is in my life. He was created by the Creator, in His own image, specifically for us. What an absolutely amazing gift.

So, when things seem just a little too hard, I just have to remember that this child of God was created to be my son and there is nothing so amazing!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Happy Working Mom said...

I couldn't agree more! I look at my children as gifts to me all the time, and it's amazing how much that changes your perspective on the day-to-day struggles I have with them!

Found you through MckForum and Caleb is adorable!

August 6, 2009 at 8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just hopped over from the Mcforum :) you have a beautiful family :) I have 2 kids ages 2.5 and 1.5 and i cant agree more with this post, being a mom is SOOO HARD!!! I grew up arround kids and i to thought it would be somewhat easy but its HARD!! I have seen the worst in myself and many things that need changing im myself from being a mom, i wouldnt change being a mom for the world and i love my kids to death but its very hard somedays :) God will grant up the patience and perserverance when we need it. Blessings to you :)

August 6, 2009 at 9:45 AM  
Blogger lexie johnston said...

elaine you are the cutest mom!!!
what in the heck is McK forum?
i probably just gave myself away as not having kiddos of my own- it is probably something that every good parent knows about. haha oops

August 6, 2009 at 4:27 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Oh no. I'm around kids all the time and was kind of looking forward to having an easi-ER time when I have my own kids (I know it's never easy!). Bummer.

Caleb is so precious! I'm glad I found your blog.

August 10, 2009 at 9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home