Monday, January 24, 2011

Ahhh ..... sleep

Sleep, which wasn't around much a week ago, has finally made it into our home.

Ethan wasn't sleeping very well at night, which of course means that I wasn't sleeping very well either.  He did fine during the day, but even then, he needed to be held in order to fall asleep, and with a toddler running wild through the house I couldn't be holding him all day.

The problem began because we had Ethan sleeping in our room.  And our room happens to be right next to Caleb's room.  And Caleb happens to be a very light sleeper (he gets that from me).  So as soon as Ethan started fussing, I'd grab him up to keep him quiet, because the last thing I wanted was a wide-awake 1 year old at 3am.  That started the habit.  He wanted to be held every time he went to sleep.

Well, this had to be nipped in the bud because after a month of getting very little sleep every night, it was beginning to wear on me.  So I started putting him down for naps in his own room and decided not to pick him up, even if he cried.  And after a few minutes of crying, and a few paci inserts by me, he was off to dreamland.

After an entire day of naps in his room, going to sleep by himself, I decided he needed to sleep in his own room at night too.  So last night he spent the first night in his own room.   I fed him at 8pm and then it was bedtime, so I put him in his room and after crying for a few minutes he went to sleep.  I fed him again at 11pm and put him down.  (he pretty much stayed asleep during this feeding).  He slept until about 3:30am and then woke up hungry, so I fed him and back in his bed he went.  He then slept until 6:30am, which gave me time to feed him before Caleb woke up at 7am.

That's the most sleep I've gotten in awhile.  It was lovely.

I'm hoping that he'll stretch the time between his 11pm feeding and his 3:30ish feeding, and then we'll be well on our way to sleeping straight through the night.  Just the thought of it makes me smile.  I like sleep, what can I say?

So, sleep has finally found it's way here.  Let's hope this becomes the new normal.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger lexie johnston said...

here's hoping you get a second night of sleep! glad you are breaking the habit!

January 24, 2011 at 8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home